Standing Rib Roast
with Au Jus and Horseradish Sauce
- 1 Standing rib roast, 6 pounds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper to taste. Rub generously on all sides with the mustard.
- Place the seasoned roast into a large baking pan. Place in the oven; uncovered on the center rack.
- Immediately lower the oven temperature to 200 degrees.
- Roast for 20 minutes per pound. After 2 hours, check the internal temperature of the roast every 30 minutes for desired doneness. Let the roast rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Shallot, diced fine
- 1 Can beef broth; 10 ounces
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium high heat for one minute. Add the oil and shallots. Immediately lower the heat to low. Simmer the shallots stirring continuously until translucent. Do not burn the shallots.
- Add the beef broth and raise the heat to medium high. Simmer for 3 minutes. Serve strained or with the shallot pieces still in (recommended).
- One Cup sour cream
- 2-3 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Salt to taste
- Place the horseradish between paper towels and press out the juice.
- Mix the horseradish and sour cream together and season to taste with salt.
Enjoy with a glass of Rosenblum Zinfandel, Sterling Vintners Cabernet or BV Cabernet wine.